Five reasons pairing solar with EV charging is a great idea
As demand, and arguably need, for renewable energy grows, so does the technology needed to drive this into a more sustainable and advanced future.
Electric vehicles are just one aspect of this technology created to help reduce our carbon footprint on the planet. As the adoption of EVs grows, so does the need to update how these vehicles are charged. And that’s why solar power is gaining traction at a much higher rate.
But what exactly are the benefits of using solar power to charge your vehicle? Well, we look at the key points here:
- Sustainability – As electric vehicles are still relatively in their infancy it’s expected that the price points are yet to fall. If you’ve recently bought one, or are looking to buy soon, it’s realistic to assume that it wasn’t because you wanted to cut your outgoing costs. A high percentage of people currently buying EVs are doing so because they want to make a positive impact on the environment.
With this in mind, using solar to charge your EV is a more sustainable option than opting for electricity from the grid.
- Cost – There is another great reason to pair solar with EV charging installation and that’s reducing your costs. It’s estimated that EV owners will increase their power consumption from the grid between 50% to 100%.
Having solar is important for those wanting to negate those extra charges. Even better if homeowners install a solar battery to store energy produced in daylight hours.
- Future-proof against rate hikes – With the Australian media warning of electricity bills rising by 50% in the next two years, solar would certainly help future-proof utility bills. Couple this with the increase in energy consumption by owning an EV, it makes solar installation seem like a no-brainer.
- Sunny Aussie life – Yes, you guessed it! We really do live in one of the sunniest countries in the world. Why waste the long summers and sunny winters? Utilising the weather really does equal lower cost bills.
- Government incentives – In Australia, at the time of writing this, there are some good government rebates available for homeowners wanting to install solar through qualified installers. It’s worthwhile getting in now before these incentives are reduced.
Now really is the best time to install solar panels, especially as electric vehicles are likely to become more and more in demand. The need for a sustainable energy source is not going away and electricity costs are unlikely to drop anytime soon.
Get in contact If you’d like a quote to upgrade or install solar to pair with your charging set up